Monday, August 31, 2009

Saturday, August 29, 2009 - Camping in Banff

This morning the girls woke us up around 7:30. We worked hard to keep Becca quiet since it was still quiet time until 8am. We got up and heated some water on our stove to make her bottle and we found it freezing outside. We snuck next door to Tom and Tara's site to steal some wood and started a fire. We had a nice breakfast of organic chocolate chip banana bread and some yogurt with granola. We also had some nice warm drinks (tea and hot chocolate) to warm us up. Adam and Ben woke up and came over and joined us.

We had a nice leisurely morning with both families eating and cleaning up and then we prepared for our day at Johnson Lake. We drove the Lake Minnewanka Loop - if you have happened to catch pictures of the "Banff Squirrel" who has shown up in pictures, it was taken at Lake Minnewanka. It's a beautiful drive through mountains, forest and lakes, however we were a bit disappointed that we only saw one deer when usually we see lots of wildlife on this drive. It was a nice opportunity for Becca to sleep for a few minutes.

We arrived at the lake around 11am and claimed a prime spot on the grass just where it meets the sand. The water was fah-reezing, but the kids didn't care and spent lots of time along the shore building castles, trenches and dams. We inflated our boat and both families had a turn going out in it for a relaxing row around the lake. We had a picnic lunch of sandwiches on shore and lots of snacks. Becca had a great time crawling around the blanket and surrounding grass. She didn't want to go on any inflatable beach toys or let any part of her touch the cold water so she enjoyed a nice day on shore.

Around 2:30 Tom, Tara, Adam and Ben headed off to Lake Louise to visit friends and a gondola ride. We started to pack up around 3:00 and went for a drive along the Bow Valley Parkway to give the girls a chance to nap. We turned around at Castle Mountain junction and drove back along the highway. We got back to the campsite and just relaxed with a few drinks while the girls played around in the clearing. We had set out a blanket for Becca to play on. Dean had a shower and got cleaned up and I gave Becca her dinner. We then used Tom and Tara's barbeque to make hotdogs for the rest of us. We had just gotten all cleaned up and Becca settled into bed (very little crying this time!) when Tom and Tara and the boys got back from having dinner in Lake Louise. We started a campfire (Tom is a pro!) and had another great night. We roasted marshmallows and told stories with the kids before putting them to bed. Bella went to bed easier this time too and again Becca didn't wake up. Then we enjoyed some more beverages and snacks before we went to bed at 10:30. I fell asleep quite easily tonight. Around 3:30 Becca woke up crying, and instead of trying to get her to settle we just brought her into bed with us. Laying between us she just kept singing and playing, however once I rolled her over to my side and snuggled her on her side she fell asleep and stayed asleep for the rest of the night (plus she kept me nice and warm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment